The Theatre School > Admission > Auditions & Interviews
Interviews are required for all BFA programs other than BFA Acting.
All interviews take place in December, January, and early February. Exact times interviews vary by major due to faculty schedules; applicants must log into
the interview registration page to see the specific dates/times available for their major. Interviews take place either in-person or virtually (Zoom); you must submit an application and certain application materials prior to registering for an interview.
1. Submit your application to DePaul University. Within about 24 hours, you will receive access to the Blue Demon Domain.
2. Upload your major-specific materials (listed below) and the interview fee to the Blue Demon Domain. You cannot register for an interview if these items are missing. (Stage Management applicants have additional requirements and must pass a prescreen.) For more information about application materials, please visit our undergraduate admissions page.
Comedy Arts - resume, writing sample, comedic performance video
Costume Design - resume, portfolio
Costume Technology - resume, portfolio
Dramaturgy/Criticism - resume, writing samples
Lighting Design - resume, portfolio
Playwriting - resume, writing sample
Projection Design - resume, portfolio
Scene Design - resume, portfolio
Sound Design - resume, portfolio
Stage Management - Applicants to the Stage Management program must submit all application materials (including a resume, portfolio, stage management essay, transcript, letters of recommendation, etc.) in order to be prescreened. Those who pass the prescreen will be invited to set up an interview.
Theatre Arts - resume, writing sample
Theatre Management - resume, writing sample
Theatre Technology - resume, portfolio
Wig and Makeup Design & Technology - resume, portfolio
3. Log in to our interview registration page and select a date/time for your interview.
The audition process for the BFA Acting program is done in two steps: a video prescreen and a live, group callback.
Prescreens are due by December 1 and
callback audition sessions occur in January and February. Callback auditions are offered in-person or virtually (Zoom); you must pass the video prescreen prior to registering for a callback audition.
1. Submit an online application to DePaul University, selecting BFA Acting as your intended major. This is due by December 1; it typically takes 24 hours for your application to reach us and for you to gain access to The Blue Demon Domain for step 2. Please plan accordingly.
2. Upload your audition fee, photograph, and prescreen video to the Blue Demon Domain. These items are due December 1.
3. It takes about two weeks for us to review your prescreen materials and notify you by email of your callback decision. If you have passed the prescreen, you will be emailed a link to the callback registration page. Select whichever date/time works best for you and we'll see you at your callback!
For more detailed information about the prescreen and callback, including what to prepare and what to expect, please click here.
Applicants must submit their prescreen by December 1. Applicants who pass the prescreen are provided with a link to the MFA callback registration page and asked to register for a callback audition. Callback auditions typically take place in January and early February and are offered in both in-person and virtual (Zoom) formats. For more information about what your prescreen must include and what to expect at the callback audition, please visit our MFA Acting audition page.
Arts Leadership applicants must submit all application materials by
February 1. Decisions about finalist interviews are communicated by email and
finalist interviews typically take place in mid-to-late March. For more information about the application process,
1. Submit your online application to DePaul University, indicating which Theatre School major you are applying to.
2. Once we recieve your application, you can log into the Blue Demon Domain. Upload your major-specific materials (resume, writing sample, portfolio, etc.) These materials are required before you may register for your interview. If you are applying to Stage Management, you will need to submit all application materials and pass a prescreen prior to registering for an interview.
3. Visit The Theatre School's interview registration page to select a date/time to interview. Upon registration, a confirmation email will be sent to the student. The link to the registration page can also be found in your email, once you have applied!