As a prospective student coming from outside of the United States, you will be working with both The Theatre School's Admissions Office as well as DePaul's International Admissions Office.
As a prospective student from outside the United States, you must complete the following steps in order to apply to The Theatre School:
Apply to DePaul using the Online Application. The application and all additional requirements are due by the deadline of your program, or two weeks before your audition/interview (whichever is earlier.) The deadline to submit your application is December 15 for MFA Directing & MFA Arts Leadership, January 15 for MFA Acting, and February 1 for all BFA programs.
Graduate Students Only
In addition to your application, DePaul University requires you to submit your official educational credentials (transcripts, mark sheets, degree certificates) and evaluation fee directly to one of three evaluation companies. These evaluators will then provide DePaul with a general evaluation of your studies and certified copies of your international educational credentials which will be used during admission review. (It doesn’t matter which company you choose. Only choose one.)
DePaul will not accept evaluations from any other evaluation companies and will not accept any educational credentials without an evaluation from One Earth, ECE or EP.
To determine what credentials you need to submit for evaluation, please refer to the website of your chosen evaluation company
Proof of English Language Competency
All international students must submit proof of English proficiency, unless this requirement is waived by one of our International Admissions Counselors. You can prove your English proficiency by submitting any of the following test results:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 80, no section lower than 17 (internet based TOEFL), 213 (computer based TOEFL), or 550 (paper based TOEFL). DePaul University's institutional code is 1165. You can access information about the TOEFL test and register at toefl.org.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5. To learn about the IELTS test and register to take the test, please visit ielts.org.
- The equivalent of DePaul's courses WRD 103 and WRD 104 with grades of C or better at an accredited US educational institution.
- A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic score of 53. To learn more about the Pearson Test of English please visit pearsonpte.com.
- If you have completed a Bachelor degree in the US, the English proficiency requirement may be waived.
Audition or Interview
Interviews for the MFA Directing and the MFA Arts Leadership programs are by invitation only. We will contact you if you are invited to interview.
Applicants to any of the BFA majors or to the MFA Acting program must schedule an audition or interview as part of completing the application. Once you submit your application, you will be sent information about how to register for one of our Auditions & Interviews dates.
Visit our Conservatory page and select your intended major for an application checklist specific to that program/major.
Any additional application requirements can be uploaded to your DePaul Portal, sent to us via email , or mailed using the following address:
The Theatre School Admissions
2350 N. Racine Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614-8422
Visit The Theatre School