As a prospective student from outside the United States, you must complete the following steps to apply to The Theatre School:
Apply to DePaul using the Online Application
The application and all additional requirements are due by the deadline. The application deadline for all BFA programs and the MFA acting
program is two weeks prior to your scheduled audition or interview date,
or January 15, whichever is earlier. The application deadline for the MFA arts leadership and MFA directing programs is December 15.
Graduate Students Only
In addition to your application, DePaul University requires you to submit your official educational credentials (transcripts, mark sheets, degree certificates) and evaluation fee directly to one of three evaluation companies. These evaluators will then provide DePaul with a general evaluation of your studies and certified copies of your international educational credentials which will be used during admission review. (It doesn’t matter which company you choose. Only choose one.)
DePaul will not accept evaluations from any other evaluation companies and will not accept any educational credentials without an evaluation from One Earth, ECE or EP.
To determine what credentials you need to submit for evaluation, please refer to the website of your chosen evaluation company
Undergraduate applicants should submit their transcripts along with their application.
Proof of English Language Competency
All international students must submit proof of English proficiency. You can prove your English proficiency by submitting any of the following test results:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 80, no section lower than 17 (internet based TOEFL), 213 (computer based TOEFL), or 550 (paper based TOEFL). DePaul University's institutional code is 1165. You can access information about the TOEFL test and register at toefl.org.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5. To learn about the IELTS test and register to take the test, please visit ielts.org.
- The equivalent of DePaul's courses WRD 103 and WRD 104 with grades of C or better at an accredited US educational institution.
- A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic score of 53. To learn more about the Pearson Test of English please visit pearsonpte.com.
- If you have completed a Bachelor degree in the US, the English proficiency requirement may be waived.
All major specific requirements (resumes, recommendation letters, etc.) for MFA applicants must be uploaded as part of the online application.
All major specific requirements for BFA applicants can either be sent via email or to the following address:
The Theatre School Admissions
2350 N. Racine Ave.
Chicago, IL 60614-8422
Visit our Conservatory page and select your intended major for an application checklist including additional requirements specific to that major.
Schedule Your Audition or Interview
Applicants to all BFA majors and to the MFA Acting program must also schedule an audition or interview on our Auditions & Interviews page.
Visit The Theatre School