As a prospective student from outside the United States, you must complete the following steps to apply to The Theatre School:
The application deadline for all BFA programs and the MFA acting program is two weeks prior to your scheduled audition or interview date, or January 15, whichever is earlier.
The application deadline for the MFA arts leadership and MFA directing programs is December 15.
In addition to your application, DePaul University requires you to submit your official educational credentials (transcripts, mark sheets, degree certificates) and evaluation fee directly to one of three evaluation companies. These evaluators will then provide DePaul with a general evaluation of your studies and certified copies of your international educational credentials which will be used during admission review. (It doesn’t matter which company you choose. Only choose one.)
DePaul will not accept evaluations from any other evaluation companies and will not accept any educational credentials without an evaluation from One Earth, ECE or EP.
To determine what credentials you need to submit for evaluation, please refer to the website of your chosen evaluation company
Proof of English Language Competency
All international students must submit proof of English proficiency. You can prove your English proficiency by submitting any of the following test results:
- A minimum TOEFL score of 80, no section lower than 17 (internet based TOEFL), 213 (computer based TOEFL), or 550 (paper based TOEFL). DePaul University's institutional code is 1165. You can access information about the TOEFL test and register at www.toefl.org.
- A minimum IELTS score of 6.5. To learn about the IELTS test and register to take the test, please visit www.ielts.org.
- The equivalent of DePaul's courses WRD 103 and WRD 104 with grades of C or better at an accredited US educational institution.
- A minimum Pearson Test of English Academic score of 53. To learn more about the Pearson Test of English please visit www.pearsonpte.com
- If you have completed a Bachelor degree in the US, the English proficiency requirement may be waived.
All major specific requirements (resumes, recommendation letters, etc.) for MFA applicants must be uploaded as part of the online application.
All major specific requirements for BFA applicants can either be sent via email
or to the following address:
The Theatre School Admissions
2350 N. Racine Ave
Chicago, IL 60614-8422
Visit our Conservatory page and select your intended major for an application checklist including additional requirements specific to that major.
Schedule Your Audition or Interview